Tomorrow, hordes of pen and writing lovers will be descending on the Toronto Reference Library for Scriptus 2016. In the past, such an event would have an ‘official photographer’, who would dutifully document the day’s excitement: vintage plastics, rainbows of ink bottles, riffling paper, happy faces.
And then it occurred to us: why not crowdsource the photo-taking?
We are happy to announce the Scriptus Instagram contest!
This is how it goes:
- Theme: people @ Scriptus 2016
- Hashtag: #ScriptusToronto
- Best photo wins: a bottle of coveted Northern Twilight show ink & a Parker “51” fountain pen!
Upload your photos of Scriptus 2016 to Instagram for a chance to win. The winner will be carefully chosen by the Scriptus team, and will be announced within a couple of weeks (depending on how many photos we get).
Remember to include people in your photos, but please be polite about it and ask permission first.
See you bright and early tomorrow morning!
After thinking about the huge success of last year’s show ink, Maple Red, something occurred to us. In the interests of fairness, we will be limiting the purchase size for this year’s Northern Twilight to two bottles per person.
We know that everyone is excited at the chance to play with this ink, and we know you all will be happy to share the fun with everyone else!
Pen shows can be a bit overwhelming. Dozens of exhibitors, colours everywhere, people jostling around. For those of us who find that draining, it can be enough to make us think twice about coming at all.
One excellent strategy used by the introverts and highly sensitive is to find a place to recharge your energy, away from the noise and bustle. And at Scriptus we have you covered! Here are a few suggestions if you are affected in this way:
- Scriptus is crowded right from the beginning. If coming early is your usual way to avoid crowds, it may not work here. The show only slows down in the last hour or so.
- Admission is free, so you can come and go freely, without even having to pass by someone examining you for proof of payment.
- There is an excellent coffee shop on the library’s main floor: Balzac’s. The library allows you to bring your food and drink into the bookish areas, which means…
- You can easily find a quiet & peaceful corner. It’s a library. It’s a big library! There are tables, chairs, corners and alcoves everywhere. And there is no time limit on how long you can stay there. When you are ready, you can come back to the show area and see more of what there is to see.
So have no fear (or anxiety), at Scriptus we have you covered, no matter how much a show like this might hurt your brain!
With Scriptus only three weeks away, everyone is working hard to make sure things go smoothly. Exhibitors are polishing up their pens. Inks are boxed up. Paper is in neat piles. Mapmakers are map-making.
And while you have to wait for the pens, ink & paper, what about the maps? The maps are done, and you can download a copy of the Exhibitors Map & Directory right now!
Have fun planning your Scriptus day, and be sure to visit the show sponsors. See you in a few weeks!
We are happy to announce that, in addition the dozens of tables filled with fabulous pen and writing goodies, we are adding to your list of must-haves: a limited edition Scriptus 2016 t-shirt.
Featuring the original patent drawing of the iconic Parker “51” on a black background, this shirt will announce your pen addiction to the world! We are also proud to have found a shirt produced locally, of organic pesticide-free cotton. Reasonably priced at $20, all-inclusive.
Quantities are limited, and there is no provision for advance sales, reservations, or mail-out orders. To get this, you will have to come to the show on October 30, the earlier the better.
Add to your wardrobe, shout out your pen love, and support Scriptus, all at the same time; what could be better than that?